Shape & Space | Wed 10/11
Last week we worked on Project 3 continuing to abstract a design's Degree of Representation by exploring the Elements of Design Line characteristics to convey Content, and by paying attention to the Principle of Organization Emphasis and Focal Point.
This week we will work on Project 4 to continue abstract from the subject matter by exploring the Elements of Design Shape & Space, paying attention to the Principle of Organization Balance.
Due for This Class
On your sketchbook or notebook handwrite the definitions for the following words:
Hatching, Cross-hatching, Stippling, Blending, Scribbling, Shaped Value Gradation, Low Key, High Key. Hand write on your sketchbook!!!!
You can find some of the definitions under the link Resources/Vocabulary Words.
Read, Research & Post to Blackboard 4:Design Basics: Shape & Space pps 162 [Nonobjective Shapes] to 173 [end of Positive/Negative Shapes]
After reading Design Basics: Shape | Space complete the sentences answer the questions below and share examples to represent the following:
1. "Our visual perception is dependent on our ability to ______________________________"
2. The general rule of perception states that (all things being equal) our eye tend to read ______________ shapes as ____________ and _____________ shapes as ______________."
3. Share examples of the affirmations in #2.
4. Share an example of Exaggerated Shape or Distortion.
5. Share an example of Distortion and Expression.
6. Share an exampnle of Idealism in Art.
7. Complete the sentence: "Abstraction implies a simplification of _____________________________."
8. Share an example of Biomorphic Shapes.
9. What is Pure Form?
10. Share an example of Curvilinear Shapes.
11. Share an example of Rectilinear Shapes. 12. What are negative shapes?
13. What are positive shapes?
14. Share an example of Isolation of shapes.
15. Share an example of Integration of shapes.
16. Share an example of Emphasis on Integration of shapes.
17. Share an example of Ambiguity.
Vocabulary Words 3
Blackboard post 4
Critique Project 3 | Variation of Line Parts 1 , 2 & 3.
Work on finalizing Project 3 | Variation of Line
Finalize Project 4 | Shape & Space Compositions:
Create three sets of shapes (total of nine shapes) and bring them to class.
Text sketches to Prof. Jacques before completing the final artwork.
Finalize artwork. Due in the beginning of class 7.
E-portfolio Project 4: Create a new page and upload Photograph/Scan of your final artwork, and post the self-critique. Due in the beginning of class..
After reading Design Basics: Rhythm and researching what Movement in design is, search the Internet for an artwork that clearly has a strong sense of Movement.
Post the image here and write how rhythm and movement in the artwork were accomplished.
Here are some possibilities:
. Changes in direction.
. Changes in darkness or lightness.
. Similar shapes connected with each other.
. Overlapping elements.
. Repetition of elements.